Thursday, June 12, 2014

Thailand Part 1: Bangkok and the hospital fiasco

How to start...
About a week before I was supposed to leave, I started feeling really sick, and it kept happening... The day after the half-marathon, I made my way to the airport with my stomach completely upside down. I felt so incredibly sick in the airport, that I ended up deciding that I couldn't get on the plane. I spent a good two hours in the bathroom, waiting to throw up, trying and panicking. As I was about to board the plane, I nearly fainted and that was the last straw.
Later that day, I went to the doctor's office and they told me I had a bacterial infection called H. Pylori, which causes ulcers. Double whammy. So, I started taking medication, which made me even sicker. But a few days later, I started feeling better, so I rebooked my flight and a week later, I landed in Bangkok!
My first souvenir from Thailand...
Except that not even 24 hours after being there, I started feeling ever sicker than before. Fever, stomach pains, nausea, cold and hot flashes, trembling... So I made my way to the hospital, and they told me I had gastritis, on top of the ulcer and the infection, and you know, dehydration and lack of energy from not being able to eat... So I was hospitalized for 3 nights.
Before I go on, I should explain; the hospital was NOT scary at all! In 15 minutes, I got to see a doctor who spoke good english, was diagnosed and got an IV. Then my room was HUGE! I had a kitchen and a bathroom all to myself!
The view from my hospital room

Anyway, finally, I made my way out of Bangkok, but that's coming up in Part 2.
About two weeks later, I made my way back to Bangkok to start a tour called ThaIntro. If you ever go to Thailand, seriously, do this. (Originally, I was going to do it my first week, but because I was sick I had to push it to the end.)
Pictures are worth a thousand words, so here they are, with captions, of course!
We all dressed as hippies and went to an amazing Indian restaurant

Thai cooking class!
Floating market

Leaning Buddha
Tuk Tuk

Chatuchak Market: One of the biggest markets in Asia. This one has over 15,000 stalls and you can get anything! From knick knacks to furniture to puppies.
Bangkok is an amazing city. It's so fast-paced and full of life! Temples, Khao San Road, street food, the markets, the people... It's so different from anywhere I've ever been, in a really, really good way.

Thailand posts:
Part 1: Bangkok // Part 2: Koh Phangan // Part 3: Kho Phi Phi // Part 4: Chiang Mai // Part 5: Khao Sok

No comments :

Post a Comment

Bella Lulu Ink Blog