Friday, October 18, 2013

So You Want to be a Filmmaker?

As some of you know, my goal in life is to break into the film industry. I want to eventually become a film director or screenwriter (or both!), hence the film degree at U of W.

But why? Why do I want to do this you ask? It's simple.
I have always loved watching movies. As a little kid, the Muppets movie got me through a bad flu, and before I could read, every one of my heroes were from films (who wouldn't want to be saved my Hercules and Pegasus, or hang out with Woody and Buzz Lightyear!) Once DVDs came out and we started having all the bonus material, I was obsessed with watching the "behind-the-scenes" features. I loved watching that stuff.

One year, my dad got this huge 12-DVD special extended edition box set of Lord of the Rings (2 DVDs per movie, plus 6 DVDs of special features AKA "making-of"). Lord of the Rings already being one of my favourite movies, I decided to watch the hours and hours of footage, interviews and everything they had from Tolkien's biography to the filming to the film premiere. It was a revelation. Not only was it so incredibly interesting, but it made me go "that's what I want to do."

It definitely made me appreciate the movies more, knowing all these little things about it, although I do admit it did ruin some scenes...

I love making films and telling stories. I love the creativity and the art that comes out of it. I'm no artist; I can't draw or sing or paint, but it's different with filmmaking and that's what I love about it. That's what I want to do for a living.

No comments :

Post a Comment

Bella Lulu Ink Blog