Thursday, October 31, 2013

NaNoWriMo

Nano-whaaaat?  What kind of gibberish is that? Well, it's the National Novel Writing Month. Since when? Well, officially, November is just another month. What makes it different is this organization (NaNoWriMo), who gives you a challenge: write a novel in 30 days. Sounds crazy right?

The idea is that a lot of people have "write a novel" on their bucket list, but never actually do it. What NaNo does it give you that extra push to actually do it! The goal is to write a 50,000 word novel in 30 days. There isn't really a prize, since there are thousands of winners every year, but you get this amazing feeling of accomplishment, and that is the point of NaNo.
Source
I participated two years ago and won, though I wasn't quite following the rules, and haven't had any time since. This year, I'm going to try and do a half-NaNo: 25,000 words in 30 days. What with university, work, and relationships, I'm really super busy, and a half-NaNo will keep me from having ANY spare time. I can't even imagine doing a full 50,000 words this year!

Normally, the rules (guidelines) for NaNo are to write fiction, and something completely new, that you haven't written or started writing yet (outlines and prep is allowed). The thing is, I'm already in the middle of a project and I don't wanna to discard it, so I will be using NaNo as a booster for this story.

Tonight, I will try to pull an all-nighter (I'll start writing at midnight) and pound out a couple thousand words to get a head start (I need to write 833 words a day to reach my goal in 30 days). You'll get a full report of my crazy night tomorrow!
(Don't worry! I'll still blog every day! I'm sure my posts will be much shorter and maybe a little crazy sometimes, but I'll be here!)

PS: Did you know Water for Elephants was written for NaNoWriMo? :)

No comments :

Post a Comment

Bella Lulu Ink Blog